Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rinse and Repeat

I swear everytime my arse sits down at 10:17 every night I feel like it is Groundhogs Day, in the best of ways of course. I laugh at what today looked like. I woke up to my hubbie's best friend in from Colorado, fought two boys to get dressed, lunches made - ok so it was Lunchable day but still, you have to put it in the bag, car goes to the shop for service yet later to find out they failed to properly render, attempted to get a windshield fixed only to be quoted $600 from Volvo ( I didn't say a PLATINUM windshield turdbaskets, I said GLASS), a phone call to notify of death of beloved uncle unexpectedly, MANY calls from family to discuss uncle, 9 hours of pure email and phone heck ALL DAY -- no breaks -- to the point that EVEN when I am at home and I find myself eating Valentines candy for lunch you realize WORK LIFE BALANCE has left the premises. Car found its way back. Hubbie requests that I pick up kids from school and take them DOWNTOWN, yes DOWNTOWN AUSTIN by 5pm. It is very important and since it is rare that anything is VERY important to him, I think "I should do this". Ok, but 5pm isn't going to happen. It is 4:20 and I haven't showered. Haul arse, walk into school only to see my 5 year old with gloves on cleaning the bathroom. When one proceeds to throw massive amounts of hand soap from the dispenser all over the walls, counter and floor at a Spanish school, you clean the crap up yourself WHICH I agree with. WTHeck kid? Apparently he "really wanted to clean" so he says. Given his clean record, I make him finish cleaning, let him know this one will be dealt with by Dad and off we go. Boys in the car, sit on Mopac trying to explain lyrics from the Avett Brothers and Bon Iver that even I don't under... "Mom, what does 'murder' mean?" "Mom, I know, I know, I know what he says, he said you can't have your LIFE back not KNIFE back"... We carry on downtown. No Trey, the service entrance won't let me in but I love you so much, I will walk in the 90' heat in a parking garage with two hungry kids who are arguing over who toots the loudest. Next thing you know, I found myself in back of 100 people of the male persuasion at a CCA banquet tonight and realized NOT ONLY am I an award winning (self promoted) coach, mother, corporate slave BUT also, WIFE! They only had 150 or so for purchase and as I was inching closer and closer to a line that I really couldn't figure out why I was in anyway, men starting passing me up knowing these darn YETI coolers were running out. Finally I step up and grab the last VERY LAST 4 tickets to my husbands PURE elation (he will be the hero to whomever the lucky recipients are). As sweat trickled down my face I looked at my husband who had just handed the boys scoops of ice cream, handed him the prized cooler tickets and left the BUILDING! Next stop Guerros and date night with two of the coolest men I know. We color, we swing, we dance, we dabble in shopping, we hang out at the candy store, we go home. They decide they are ready to take a shower by themselves, I am no longer needed. I see a hint of light with this newfound independence of mine. Pajamas on, sugar bugs scrubbed extra hard, two extra kisses each for the goodness they give. I sit down. It is 10:17.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I laughed so hard at the Snackables part of this. My daycare asked me to stop sending them for lunch because Reilly hates them. I was like, "So?" Apparently I should think of the kid and not myself...

    ReplyDelete