Friday, July 8, 2011

The zen of business trips

I love traveling - business or pleasure, it doesn't matter. The zen of traveling excites me. No matter how stressful or rushed the packing and drive to the airport and run to the plane can be, once you are on that plane, there is nothing you can do about anything. You may be on the tarcam for 20 minutes or 2 hours. You just have to sit there and take it. (don't get me wrong, I don't like being stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours!). But it's a lesson in patience, and I enjoy that. I would like more comfortable seats and a little legroom... but I digress.

I'm getting ready for my next business trip on Sunday, returning on Wednesday. My poor husband has to entertain the 3-year-old all day Sunday, and manage the morning routine for three days. I can't figure out why I feel guilty about that. I never get annoyed or angry when he goes somewhere and I'm alone with the munchkin... is it mom guilt? wife guilt? I know I'll have to set out clothes for each day. I've ordered school lunches already, so he doesn't have to make lunch. There really isn't anything else that I can do... and knowing Jeff, he'll line up entertainment with the munchkin's best friend or one of his friends, so I know I needn't worry.

And in reality, I'm actually excited about having 3 nights where the little munchkin won't be waking me up in the middle of the night. And I'm going to a location near a beach, so I can get up early and take a walk by the waves. And it's a professional development and networking activity that I'm going to, so I know it's 3 days to focus on me and my career and things that make me happy professionally.

So I shouldn't worry, and I shouldn't fuss, and I should just focus on the 8 billion things I have to get done before my flight on Sunday... laundry, replenish makeup stash, order prescription refills,  get hair cut, pack suitcase... yeesh... that is the part I hate about business trips...

1 comment:

  1. I can soooo relate to this! I had to travel on a Sunday recently and I spent the entire day before doing laundry, gorcery shopping, etc. so my poor husband wouldn't get stuck without clean clothes or lunchbox food. At the end of the day he said, "I wish I could just get you to sit down and talk to me for 5 minutes." What? LOL! But the guilt - I still had guilt, even after taking care of all the weekend chores in one day. Still had it...

    ReplyDelete