Thursday, December 15, 2011

Negotiating with terrorists (I mean toddlers)


When I was a kid on vacation with my parents in Mexico, my dad would always make me do the negotiations with the street vendors when I wanted to buy souvenirs. I learned awesome expert negotiation skills to get things well below the price I actually would have paid for their wares.
My four-year-old has had no such experiences to train him in the art of negotiation, but  I find myself increasingly impressed with his negotiation skills.
Kid: “I’m done eating. I’m full.”
Me: “Eat four more bites of meat.”
Kid: “Two bites of meat and two bites of bread?”
Me: “No, four bites of meat. Then you can have bread if you want it.”
Kid: “Four bites of meat and a cookie.”
Me: “No, you said you were full. Four bites of meat and then you’re done.”
Kid: “But I’m full!”
Me: “Then just drink your milk.”
Kid: “Then I get a cookie?”
Me: “I thought you were full.”
Kid: “I am. Can I  go?”
Me: “FOUR MORE BITES OF MEAT!”
Kid: *SIGH!* “Okay.”
You get the point. Impressive, isn’t it? I’m impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment