Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The $300 birthday party


The $300 birthday party. Maybe $200, if you’re lucky, but by my calculations $300 is the norm for your child’s birthday nowadays. You are expected to put together an entertainment package for 8 to 15 children in your child’s class, feed them, and talk to a bunch of parents you really don’t know, while judging them for the things they let their child get away with.
Last year, I knew more of the kids and parents in my kid’s daycare class, so the $300inflatable place’s birthday party package was acceptable.  This year, I really don’t know many of the kids, and even fewer parents. Why do I have to entertain their kids one afternoon while my kid really only plays with one or two of them?
So I decided to take my kid and his best friend to Build-a-Bear and let them pick any animal they want and up to two outfits. By the time it’s done, I figure I’ll spend $100 on the bears (or whatever they decide to make), and then we’ll go to dinner so there’s another $100. But my kid gets to spend time with his really good friend and they both get lasting keepsake memories.
Good plan. But I have mom guilt. Am I doing it because I’m too lazy to do invitations and find out the names of all the kids in his class? Am I doing it because I ran out of time and never got around to actually calling a party place to book it? Am I doing it because I’m selfish and don’t want to talk to a bunch of random people I don’t know for 3 hours? Or am I doing it because I think my kid will actually enjoy this plan?
Mom guilt sucks.

Update: I held the birthday party with his best friend and they build creatures at the Build-a-bear store. They then picked out a giant slice of cookie cake at the mall. They had the BEST time. We followed it up with playground play and dinner at Chick-Fil-A. He had a great time and loved his birthday party!!
Happy mom again.

No comments:

Post a Comment