Monday, February 21, 2011

2-Hour-Mom + sick kid

The plus side of having a sick kid is that you are forced to have more than 2 hours a day with him. They aren't the best hours you could ever have, but they must count as quality time together!

My daycare was closed today for a teacher in-service day, so I had to call my office's "back-up care" to come stay with the kiddo. Cute little college girl, very sweet. She called me at about 12:15 and said that the kiddo had started wearing down a bit and saying his head hurt. She found a themometer and lo-and-behold: 101.4. She is not allowed to dispense medicine, so I had to come home.

True kid sickness is easy for a working mom. A sick 3yo means you dose him with drugs and put him to bed. He sleeps for 3 hours, then is lazy for a couple hours, then goes to bed for the night.

The next day, is the hard day for a working mom: He's FINE. No fever. No sluggishness. But isn't allowed to go to daycare because of the 24-hour-fever-free rule. But he's not sick. Therefore, you can't do conference calls, you can't get work done becuase he wants to play! engage! learn! build a fort! THIS is where the working mom runs into a problem and the guilt kicks in.

Luckily for me, the cute little back-up care nanny is going to come back tomorrow to help me out, but I still feel so guilty about it!

2 comments: